Welcome to the home of Australian Geology Travel Maps.
- Ideal app for prospectors, fossickers, geologists, earth science students & teachers
- Runs on Android and Apple phones and tablets
- Maps are downloaded to your phone so there is no dependancy on mobile reception in the field
- Simplified and detailed geology maps for all of Australia
- Terrain is shown on the geology maps, so make more sense to non-geologists
- Old mine workings, gold, gem and other metal finds
- Gold distribution maps
- Mining & exploration tenement information
- Interactive – tap on maps to display detailed geology and resource information
- Spoken geology – the app tells you when the geology changes as you drive – use this with the simple geology maps
- Data is sourced from the state geological surveys and Geoscience Australia
- Aero-magnetic imagery for all states
- Bush-walking tracks shown with contours
- Record your trail, so you can retrace your steps – and avoid getting lost
- Record notes on important locations (‘way-points’)
- Export your field data to Google Earth or your GIS system
Maximise battery life
When you are bush-walking, please put your phone into flight mode. This can very significantly extend your battery life.
Thanks to the government organisations – Australian and otherwise – that have released their data under a Creative Commons BY license. And gratitude to the generations of dedicated field geologists that have walked, ridden and driven over the remotest parts of Australia collecting data that forms the basis of our knowledge of the evolution of the Australian continent.
Warning about iPads
The WIFI-only iPad does not have GPS hardware, so cannot determine your location in the field. An iPad with a SIM slot is required for GPS functionality in the field. (But you do NOT need to have a SIM inserted.)